Overview: Skillpad Custom Modules are improving Quality, Production and Profits in many manufacturing companies right now!
Use of Custom Modules in Existing Facilities:
Background Philosophy Skillpad believes that, in all operating manufacturing facilities, an important of source of additional high quality production is available but is largely untapped because, over the years, the contribution from Operations personnel has been relegated to the back burner due to the drive to automate everything. “After decades of ignoring operators, industry is finally starting to realize they can produce real value.” (Peter Martin – Schneider Electric Company).
In order to tap this “improved performance” the manufacturer must get all Operations personnel to do things the right way and the best way all the time. To achieve this, the manufacturer should introduce true inclusiveness, i.e. involve the Operations personnel to extract, capture and use basic experienced-based knowledge possessed by them and lodged unproductively, in their heads.
To do this means,
- Ask Operations for input/suggestions for improvement– inclusiveness
- Use experienced e-learning SMEs to understand improvement ideasList
- Build Job Task Modules incorporating Operations input – Best Practices
- Provide access to Best Practices Modules to all personnel, 24/7
- Get all personnel to use Best Practices to perform Job Tasks – consistency
- Update Module constantly reflecting current Best Practises
- Continuously disseminate latest Best Practices to Operations personnel
- Higher quality
- Increased production
- Operations personnel engaged – climate of genuine inclusiveness
- Lower cost of Training
- New asset, Intellectual Property (IP)
- Operating Performance Improvement Program
Getting Production Performance Improvement from personnel’s consistent use of Best Practices has always been true. So, what’s different now?
- e-learning is available – Best Practices can be captured, presented in an engaging fashion and disseminated at low cost
- the WEB is available – knowledge can be put in front of anyone, anywhere, at any time
- Module-building Services are now available (Skillpad)
The beauty of this is that, to obtain the improvement there’s no need for new capital investment in plant & equipment, no need for more operators and probably, no need to redo SOPs etc. In addition, a new tangible asset, Intellectual Property (IP), will have been created describing the accumulated experienced-based Best Practices for optimum operation of the facility giving the owner a serious competitive advantage. In the case of multi-plant enterprises adding new similar facilities in distant locations or countries will be done without repeating the same “mistakes” all over again.