Lesson Code: BPU-760. Describes steam sterilization, different autoclave types and the steam sterilization process including critical parameters, sterilization cycle, process monitoring and safety precautions.
After taking this e-Lesson, you will be able to:
- Explain what is meant by 'sterile' and 'sterilization'
- Describe what is meant by 'steam sterilization'
- Describe the uses of steam sterilization
- Explain the basic operating principles of gravity displacement and prevacuum autoclaves
- Describe the main components of a prevacuum autoclave
- Describe the conditions needed for steam sterilization
- Explain the different stages of a sterilization cycle
- Describe how steam sterilization cycles are monitored
- Describe the safety precautions associated with steam sterilization